Monday, December 15, 2008

Spreading Good News During Early Voting

During the 2008 Presidential election, Florida had early voting for two weeks prior to Election Day on November 4, 2008. One of the locations that had early voting included the Bloomingdale Library that I pass on a daily basis between my home and my office. Each day that I passed the library, I noticed a long line of people waiting to vote. Viewing these lines, I thought that this would be a good opportunity to drop off some tracts. At the same time, there was a great reluctance to try to initiate witnessing encounters with total strangers, some of whom were very passionate about the elections. Who knows, someone may have talked about the separation of Church and State.

Two days before the end of early voting, I had to drop some books off at the library. I had my four-year-old son, with me and decided to take a small handful of million dollar bills with me. For those not familiar with the million dollar bills, they contain the following message:



The million dollar question: Will you go to Heaven? Here's a quick test. Have you ever told a lie, stolen anything, or used God's name in vain? Jesus said,"Whoever looks upon a woman to lust after her has committed adultery already with her in his heart." Have you looked with lust? Will you be guilty on Judgment Day? If you have done those things God sees you as a lying, thieving,blasphemous, adulterer at heart. The Bible warns that if you are guilty you will end up in Hell. That's not God's will. He sent His Son to suffer and die on the cross for you. Jesus took your punishment upon Himself -"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." Then He rose from the dead and defeated death. Please, repent (turn from sin) today and trust in Jesus, and God will grant you everlasting life. Then read your Bible daily and obey it. Pray something like this: "Dear God, today I turn away from all of my sins (name them). This day I put my trust in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. He is the only way for me to be saved. He is 'The way, the truth, and the life.'" Please
forgive me, change my heart, and grant me Your gift of everlasting life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen."








The time was around 11:00 a.m. and there were more than 100 people waiting in line to vote that morning. After dropping the books off, somehow I got up the courage to hand out the bills. First, I turned to three of the poll workers, and handed each of them a bill telling them thanks for their hard work. Next, I stepped outside and handed the bills to the first 15 to 20 people in line, saying this is not a political message, but it is meant to help in this bad economy.

After my supply of 15-20 bills was exhausted, a lady approached me and said that I skipped her. I was holding the plastic bag and said I think that I am out. Then, I remembered that I had a copy of the Gospel of John in my pocket, with a MDB tucked inside. So, I reached in my pocket, handed her the Gospel and she told me thank you, as she returned to her place in line.

In order for me to do this, I had to step outside of my comfort zone. My only real disappointment is I only had a small handful of bills to hand out. It was also neat to have my four-year-old walking with me as I was sowing some seeds in my community.

No comments: