Sunday, December 20, 2009

About Zeus, Thor, Buddha, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Angry Atheist dropped by to ask my thoughts about other religions. Although, my reply is posted below in the comments, I thought that these thoughts were worthy of an original post. Thanks to the Angry Atheist for motivating me to post on this subject.

I arrived from Church not too long ago. This morning I heard a great message entitled Our King is Here. That was the follow up to last week's message, Our King is Coming, and the message which concludes next week entitled,Our King is Coming Again.

I am not smart enough to offer you an apologetic that addresses Zeus, Thor, Allah, Buddha, the Flying Spaghetti Monster ("FSM"), etc. I can point you to Norman Geisler's "When Skeptics Ask," or I can point you to Josh McDowell's, "Evidence that Demands a Verdict," or I can point you to a number of Lee Strobel or C.S. Lewis books.

Do not get me wrong. I think apologetics are useful. By the fact that I rattled off those books, shows that I've spent time investigating the subject. Still, I am sure that other Christians, have addressed the subject matter with you. I do not think I can feed you any information that you haven't heard before.

What I can tell you is that Jesus is real. There is ample history indicating that He is real. It is only within the last half century that anyone would deny that He ever existed.

With respect to other religions, I would point you to the Tower of Babel, which is in Genesis chapter 11 a few chapters following the story of the flood. I am just a simple attorney in Valrico, Florida. But, it is my humble opinion, the Tower of Babel is the source of all man made religion. Zeus, Thor, Buddha, Allah, FSM and every other religion on this planet involves "what can I do for god." The person hopes that his good deeds outweigh his bad deeds, then he should be good to go.

God's way is different. God says no matter what we do, we are not good enough. We are too prideful and it is hard for you and I to admit that we are wrong. (I also think that many self-righteous Christians suffer from the same problem).

It is when we recognize that we are not good enough, that God comes to us and says I will provide a way out, if you will receive me. John 1:12 says to those who received him (Jesus) to those who believed in his name, he gives the right to become children of God.

In the book of Acts (chapters 3 and 4), you have the story of how God, through Peter and John, healed a man who had been crippled for life. The religious people (perhaps no different than intelligent religious people of today) of that day were furious. They tried to shut up Peter and John. Peter's reply was "there is no other name (Jesus) under heaven given to man, by which we must be saved." (See Acts 4:8-12).

Religious and secular people like to keep Jesus in the manger, where he can't harm anyone. Jesus is so much bigger than that. Where we can't do enough good deeds to save ourselves, Jesus did, by laying his life down for you and me.

With all that you know about Jesus, the relevant question is what will you do about him? I take you back to the Million Dollar Bill, which you confessed to have reading. I also encourage you to go back to the Gospel of John. Don't simply read it. Study it. After studying John, my question is what will you do about Jesus Christ?

My prayer is that you would repent and put your trust in him. Many Christmas blessings to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.