Friday, December 4, 2009

Tiger's Confession

Every one heard what has been going on with Tiger Woods. So you have a celebrity, a wife with a golf club, a damaged Cadillac Escalade, and out at 2:25 a.m. Nothing good can come from that combination. Against, that background you start getting a lot of speculation, rumors, and gossip. This is followed by three different statements from Tiger Woods. In his last statement, he finally confesses his indiscretions:

I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect.

I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology.


Throughout this whole thing, Tiger continuously asked the press and the public to respect his right to privacy. On that point, Tiger is partially right. He should be entitled to his right to privacy. Still, when he is who he is and given the public’s obsession with their celebrities, especially when they are caught in a scandal, the chances of him getting the privacy that he desires are slim to none.

So, what is next for Tiger Woods? Going back to his statement, I am not so sure if he was truly repentant or whether this is an instance in which he got caught. Before his confession, he talked about malicious rumors. I think Tiger can learn a lesson from King David. Many are as familiar with David’s “transgressions” as Tiger’s. Sometime after his open confession, David wrote Psalm 51. While the entire Psalm is worth reading, key lessons are highlighted in the following verses:

1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I know my transgressions,and my sin is always before me.
4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight,so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge.

10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,and sinners will turn back to you.

Yes Tiger, you have truly let your family down. For about 13 years, you have been on top of the world. Now, you have fallen hard. Still, there is redemption. Study David’s prayer in Psalm 51. They say it is impossible for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God, but with God all things are possible. Tiger, repent and put your trust in the Savior today.

(See also "Cornered Tiger" by Ray Comfort)

2 comments:

Your Sis, Sharon said...

How ironic to read your comments here. This is the message I preached in my initial sermon on Nov 15th, "True Repentance." One thing I shared is how we treat life like a game of truth or dare. With sin there are consequences. Tiger is dealing with consequences related to his choices; but God can wash his sins away if he will truly repent. Then, he must let others know that he is restored, redeemed, and delivered only by the grace of God. The world will want to remind him of his wrong choices, but with a repentant heart, he can be a new creature in Christ Jesus.

Rich Bradford said...

Sharon,
Your message came to mind when this story came out. If you are asked to deliver it again, you can find a way to weave it into the message.