Monday, January 4, 2010

Brit Hume Thrown to the Lions . . . But He is Right (Tiger's Confession Part 2)

Here is another post on the Tiger Woods saga. During a panel on Fox News, the question of Tiger's return to the PGA Tour was discussed. Brit Hume suggested that Tiger will recover as a golfer, but he will not be able to save his family (more later). Hume suggested that Tiger should abandon Buddhism and embrace Christianity.




Tiger Woods will recover as a golfer. Whether he can recover as a person I think is a very open question, and it's a tragic situation for him. I think he's lost his family, it's not clear to me if he'll be able to have a relationship with his children, but the Tiger Woods that emerges once the news value dies out of this scandal -- the extent to which he can recover -- seems to me to depend on his faith. He's said to be a Buddhist; I don't think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith. So my message to Tiger would be, 'Tiger, turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world.'"





While Brit's statement was direct, and commendable, I am not sure he was direct enough. Some may ask how can you be more direct than what Brit Hume stated. In part, I would direct the reader to my post below entitled "Tiger's Confession." I would further note that there is a difference between simply going to Church on Sunday and turning to the Christian faith, as opposed to truly walking it out. Tiger not only needs to follow Brit's suggestion. He needs to find someone to be a Paul to him and help him truly grow in his faith. A few weeks ago, Herm Edwards added his take, which lines up with something that I posted here a while back. (See "Need for Accountability")



Britt Hume is telling Tiger to follow Jesus, and Herm Edwards is telling him to choose the right friends. These are messages that Americans do not like to hear. If anyone is paying attention, I am sure that both Herm Edwards and Brit Hume will draw criticism . . . for telling the truth.


Last thought. On a side note, I believe that it is possible for Tiger to reconnect with his family. It will be difficult, but he can salvage his marriage. I recommend watching "Fireproof" and going through the 40-day "Love Dare." Despite his many mistakes, supernatural transformation is possible.

Edit: 1/5/09 - First point. I've always enjoyed watching Tiger Woods golf since he began his career in the mid 1990s. I also followed the bio on how his dad spent time investing in his life to make him a great golfer. Against that background, it has always been my personal take that he should stay out of the Buddhist Temples. In essense, Brit Hume hit the nail on its head. Next, take a look at Ray Comfort's observations on Brit's Advice to Tiger Woods.

Edit:

And the lions are showing their teeth. Guess who just was added to the prayer list.

See: Ann Coulter's "If You Can Find a Better Deal, Take It!" She is close but off on a few comments, but in the ballpark.

No comments: