Thursday, April 25, 2013

US Army and the Southern Baptists

I've been out of the military for more than 20 years, but always consider myself an Army guy.  I have a great deal of respect for the military leaders of our past, Grant, Lee, Eisenhower, and MacArthur.  And I also have a great deal of respect for our military leaders of recent history (not withstanding their flaws) Petraeus, Mattis, McChrystal and Powell.

Recently, we have been seeing troubling news from the military.  For instance, last week I posted about the Lieutenant Colonel  labeling certain Christian ministries as hate groups. See: Army LTC E-Mail.  The week before that, a briefing slide for Army reservists included evangelicals and  Catholics on a list of extremists, right next to Al Qaeda and the Klan.  I would hope these are isolated incidents.  Unfortunately, we received more negative news concerning the military and Christianity.  Today, I just read a report in which a military officer was prevented from viewing the Southern Baptist Convention's website because it allegedly contained "hostile content."  See:  US Army Labels Southern Baptist Convention 'Hostile.'   The Southern Baptists are known for having a very high view of scripture. In most towns, you couldn't throw a rock in a parking lot without hitting a Baptist.  The Southern Baptist Convention remains the largest protestant denomination in the U.S.   I truly do not believe that this is the official position of the military.  Indeed, I thought the Baptists had another 3-5 years before they would receive the "hostile" label.  Not sure which way things are going.  To my Christian brothers and sisters, all is not lost.  The Army still has good men in leadership who have a respect for and live by Christian values, e.g., the next Superintendent of West Point, LTG Robert Caslen.  Along with LTG Caslen, you cannot overlook General Vincent Brooks, who was a prominent spokesperson for the military during the early stages of the Iraq War.

Edit:  I certainly am not an alarmist.  Nor do I believe the Army is anti-Christian.  I do believe, however, that a time is approaching where Bible believing Christians will be marginalized, if not persecuted.  This recent report indicates that time is coming sooner than anticipated.


But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. And do not  fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled, 1 Peter 3:14



No comments: